Saturday 7 October 2017

Just Us Girls GDT - Light


I'm super excited to join Just Us Girls as their October Guest Designer. Thank you so much to the JUGS team for the invitation to join. I love playing along with their challenges, and super excited to have the chance to share some inspiration with you all. Hope you will join us for the fun "Light" theme this week.


I thought I would go for a moon and starlight theme for my magical creatures and Distress Inks for the background. I started by cutting out two circular masks, one bigger and one smaller. I inked through the larger circular mask using Squeezed Lemonade distress ink onto my card front in Neenah Solar White card. Then I switched to the smaller circular mask which I centred within the circle I had inked and continued to ink in Mustard Seed and Spiced Marmalade. Next, I masked out the whole big circle and inked in Wilted Violet, Dusty Concord and Chipped Sapphire Distress ink, adding more colour around the edges of the card, and keeping the colour lighter the closer to the circle I got. I also inked a piece of card in Hickory Smoke and Black Soot, as well as another in Twisted Citron and Mowed Lawn. Then I splattered water onto all the cards I inked, and I used a wet brush to blend the colours of the moon. Next, I die cut the mountains from the inked grey card using Lawn Fawn Stitched Mountain Border, the green one using the Grassy Border die, and I used the Forest border die to cut a piece of black card. I also used the Starry Skies die to cut out the stars and shooting star, adding yellow and pink card behind the card front for the yellow starlight to shine through. Last, I stamped the castle, dragon and unicorn from Critters Ever After, coloured them with Copics and die cut the matching dies. Then I attached all the different layers of the background and the critters in the foreground, lastly adding a sentiment from the Party Animal stamp set. I had forgotten how much fun it is to create backgrounds using Distress Inks and to splatter water onto them, watching the ink fade away under the water droplets!


Card: Neenah Solar White card, scraps of black, yellow and pink card
Ink and colouring: Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black, Tim Holtz Distress Ink Hickory Smoke, Black Soot, Twisted Citron, Mowed Lawn, Wilted Violet, Dusty Concord, Chipped Sapphire, Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, Squeezed Lemonade, Copics
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Critters Ever After and matching dies, Party Animal
Dies: Lawn Fawn Stitched Circle dies, Starry Skies, Stitched Mountain Border, Forest Border, Grassy Border

9 comments:

Macimbalo said...

So happy you are GT this month! Love your adorable card - it's so colorful and it just makes me so happy to look at it! I love the scene and your sun for the 'light'!

Sue VanDeVusse said...

Welcome to JUGS! So glad you are joining us this month as our Guest Designer and you have kicked it off with an amazing creation! I love the "light" emitting from your beautiful moon and then you have the stars and the light shining through the castle windows! Can't wait to see what you create for the rest of this month's challenges!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Starting off with a bang! Your coloring is amazing and that sun -- so fabulous!!

Ina G said...

Welcome to JUGS Karola. Love your colourful created here especially the circle and the shadow behind that BIG moon. Lots of lovely twinkling little stars too. Looking forward to seeing more of your talent this month here and of course elsewhere!

Judy Woodland said...

LOVE the double circles, it really makes a striking moon. Super cute card and great design too. So stinkin' CUTE!!! So happy to have you with us this month, I can't wait to see what you have for us next week. Welcome!!!

Nancy said...

This is fabulous Karola! You really made an incredible card! So happy to have you with us at Just Us Girls this month and can't wait to see what you have in store for us next week!

Bobby said...

This is such a magical little scene, Karola, and the inked background is fabulous. I'm glad to have you creating with us this month.

Lisa Kind said...

So happy to have you guesting with us this month at JUGs! Love your card and especially how you created the sun. Great idea to use the two different masks. Lovely card.

Lea Lawson said...

This is so cute!! Love that adorable unicorn! ♥