Friday 11 November 2016

Non-Traditional Christmas Wreath


I have been suffering from a weird sub-clinical cold for the last few weeks. I'm not sick enough to slow down, but I'm constantly tired and feel off. I've been thinking I will just shake it off but it keeps going on and on. So I decided to skip the gym last night and head home early from work. Heading home early came with the benefit of finally having a bit of time in the craft room. However as it was already dusk when I got home (despite being home early!) and pitch dark by the time I finished the card (although it was quite a quick card) so I had to wait for this morning to get a picture. 

This card is the amalgamation of inspiration from various places. First of all, I was inspired by the gorgeous inspiration image over at Daring Cardmakers. I was inspired by the colours (turquoise, purple, pink and black) the Christmas theme and all the gold and glitter. I was also inspired by the theme "Shine Bright Like a Diamond" over at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge which made me add a ton of glitter to the wreath. I was also inspired by One-Layer Simplicity Challenge where the theme is Peace. Last but not least I'm linking up with the CAS Mix-Up Challenge where the theme is Stamping + Masking + Your Choice (in my case heat embossing). 



I started by stamping the wreath from STAMPlorations Joyful and the sentiment from Framed Christmas: Peace, Love and Joy in Versamark and heat embossed in gold. Then I masked the wreath and edges of the card and inked Wilted Violet and Picked Raspberry Distress inks through the ARTplorations Retro Circles stencil. Last, I watercoloured the wreath using Picked Raspberry and Wilted Violet for the berries and Mermaid Lagoon for the leaves.

Card: 300 gsm Daler & Rowney watercolour paper
Stamps: STAMPlorations Joyful and Framed Christmas: Peace, Love and Joy
Ink: Tsukineko Versamark, Distress Inks Wilted Violet, Picked Raspberry and Mermaid Lagoon
Other: Gold embossing powder, ARTplorations Retro Circles stencil



6 comments:

Angelnorth said...

Great funky modern take on the inspiration photo! Thanks for playing along with the Daring Cardmakers!

Dawn said...

Love the background you created for your pretty wreath. Thanks for joining in at Daring Cardmakers. x

Loll said...

There is a lot of sparkle on that pretty wreath. Love the non-traditional colours as well Karola. Great job of masking and stenciling. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Bonnie said...

Sparkle and shine and fantastic non-traditional Christmas colors make for an awesome Christmas card, Karola! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at CAS Mix Up!

Jo said...

What a sweet card using those colours, very modern :D Great Christmas card!
Thanks for sharing at the CAS Mix Up Challenge, xx

Susan Raihala said...

What a fun and funky color combo for the holidays! Love your use of gold embossing with the purples and teals...very festive and so much fun! Thanks for sharing this with the OLS Challenge!