Thursday 10 March 2016

Steampunk or Punk a$$


Well I can safely say today's card is way out of my comfort zone. But hey, it's fun to mix it up a bit form time to time, right? The challenge over at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers is "G is for gears" with a theme of steampunk. I'm never sure what steampunk really is. All I know is it's all about gears and men in top hats. Ok, so gears and top hats it is then! I started by inking up my Tim Holtz Steampunk embossing folder with Vintage Photo and Ground Espresso Distress Inks, and ran a piece of cardstock through my Big Shot. Then I inked the embossed gears using Hickory Smoke ink, adding a bit of shadow around the edges using Black Soot. Then I used a brush to add some Perfect Pearls on the gears as well. Next, I stamped one of Tim's Crazy Birds and some paraphernalia from the Crazy Things, coloured it all with Copics and die cut using matching dies. Last, I created the sentiments using Lawn Fawn Violet's ABCs and STAMPlorations Sketchy Alphabet and distressed the edges of the sentiments and the embossed panel. I also added some Vintage Photo and Ground Espresso ink to the edges of the sentiments. I matted the whole shebang onto black card.


I'm also linking up with Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge where the theme is Make Your Own Background, Little Red Wagon where the theme is "Mainly Manly", Left of Center where the theme is "Big Eyes", Craft Rocket Challenges where the theme is "Feathers or Fur" and  Craft Your Passion where Anything Goes

Card: 300 gsm black card, 300 gsm white textured card, scraps of Tim Holtz Core'dinations card and a scrap of a homemade coloured card made with Distress Paints
Ink and colouring: Tim Holtz Distress Ink Vintage Photo, Early Espresso and Black Soot, Tsukineko Versamark and Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics
Stamps: Tim Holtz Bird Crazy and Crazy Things and matching dies, STAMPlorations Sketchy Alphabet, Lawn Fawn Violet's ABCs
Other: Perfect Pearls, Steampunk embossing folder, black glittery embossing powder, Tim Holtz Distress tool

14 comments:

Donna said...

He he he fantastic card! You are right - a few top hats and gears and voila...steampunk!
Thanks for joining the sisterhood of snarky stampers for our G is for Gears challenge!

PinkyLisasInkyCrafts said...

Thank you for joining in with the left of centers challenge #120 'big eyes'.

Brilliant card! Love the little character and he suits so well with the gears backing.

I hope you will continue to play along with more of our weekly challenges over on the left of centre challenge blog.

❤️ & hugs
Lisa xxxx LOC DT Member

JanR said...

Cool card! The embossing is splendid. Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

Cross Stitch Claire said...

What a cute little guy! Thanks for joining us at Craft Rocket, Claire DT x

Stampsnob. said...

Just too fun TFS Craft Rocket Ch Lis DT

Lindsey said...

I am just going to have to CASE you the next time the Sisterhood forces me to make a steampunk card! I love the idea of using Tim's birds, and your card is perfect. Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Angie said...

Thank you so much for sharing your project and entering our challenge at Craft Your Passion Challenges.
I can’t wait to see what you create for our next challenge.
Angie DT
Craft Your Passion Challenges

Shirley said...

Great card.

KristyLee said...

Super cute card, love those Timmy Birds! And I always love cogs! Thanks for sharing with us at LOC!
Peace,
KristyLee

Emma Williams said...

Fabulous background and I just adore that crazy bird, he always makes me laugh! Thank you so much for sharing and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

Loving your approach to steampunk! Your crazy bird looks very dapper and proper against your inky gears. Thanks for playing in our "G is for Gears" challenge at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Lisa J said...

Great sentiment to go with this image. Thanks for sharing with us this fortnight. Lisa DT Craft Rocket Challenges

Chris Dring said...

Love your take on the Steampunk theme! Love that top hatted crazy bird and your sentiment rocks! Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers! (Sorry, I've been out of town and am playing catch up on my commenting!)

Chelle (PhotoArt/MaybeCreative) said...

Great job, very impressive for your first time. Thanks for gearing it up with the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers.