Wednesday 18 March 2015

It's nearly chocoholiday!


I had a look at the calendar today. Not just a glance, I mean a proper look and I made an effort to engage my brain at the same time. This was a big effort for me, admittedly, but I came to the rather scary realisation that Chocolholiday (in some circles also known as Bunnyday, Chich-o-holiday or even Easter) is just around the corner. As in, a few weeks away! After Christmas it felt like it would be an eternity until Easter (aka the next break from work), and now it's almost upon us. I have spoiled myself by taking a day of annual leave each side of Easter making it a leisurely six day break with a three day work week on each side. I can't wait! I will spend the time in my craft room, chocolate bunnies at my side.

Of course chocoholiday means some chocoholiday cards are in order. Today's card was born inside my head while stuck in traffic yet again. Getting off the hospital site in 5 pm traffic is such a nightmare. And there are plans for new buildings (including relocation of another hospital to the site) with thousands of new jobs to appear on site over the years to come which will mean even more imaginary crafty time for me. Obviously the good thing of congestion traffic is that as long as I remember the current challenges that are out there, I can pre-design the cards in my head while stuck in traffic, and then it's a quick business of just putting them together once I'm actually in my craft room for real. Alternatively, I could take some stamps and markers in the car and sit there colouring away while waiting to move along. Oh well, for the safety of myself and others I may have to stick to imaginary crafting in the car. 

Anyhow, the inspiration for today's card was the Distress challenge over at Lawn Fawn, along with the inspiration image over at Curtain Call and the inspiration board over at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge. I am also linking up over at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge where the theme is Animals, Creative Card Crew "Easter Critters", Artistic Inspirations Challenge "Anything goes with a twist of Easter" and Clear it Out challenge where the theme this week is Easter and stash item is pastel things (pastel distress inks, markers and cardstock).



Simon Says Stamp Wednesday inspiration board

I only have one proper Easter stamp set, and I have already used it for the last two years, so I wanted to change things up a bit so I went for non-Easter stamps. I made a mask for inking the egg using yellow, blue and pink distress ink. I love how the colours mix together to give greens and purples where the colours overlap. Then I stamped the bunny, birds and easter eggs and coloured them using watercolours and distress ink before fussy cutting them. Last, I stamped the sentiment in black ink and matted everything onto yellow card. 

Card: 300 gsm white card, Hobbycraft Three Shades of Yellow 160 gsm card, Hobbycraft 160 gsm white card
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Critters from the Past, Critters on the Savanna, Critters in the Arctic, Personal Impressions Easter 1
Ink: Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black, Tim Holtz Distress inks Squeezed Lemonade, Picked Raspberry, Salted Ocean, Tim Holtz Distress markers in Squeezed Lemonade, Mowed Lawn, Salted Ocean, Picked Raspberry, Spiced Marmalade, Pumice Stone


16 comments:

maureenb said...

What a brilliantly done card! Love your
tye die colored egg! thanks for sharing.

Darnell said...

Hahaha! Chocoholiday! I love that! And I love your rainbow-hued bunny card, Pink! You are brilliant to design awesome imaginary cards in your head while annoyingly stuck in traffic, instead of being enraged and thinking evil thoughts like so many of us do!! Bless you!! Hugs, Darnell

Samantha Mann said...

that background is amazing!! an egg shape!!! so genius!! LOVE the happy tye dye colors! totally reminds me of coloring eggs!! and i just LOVE that little bunny with his easter haul! so cute! thank you so much for playing along with us at the Lawnscaping Challenge! :D

Samantha Casey said...

Very pretty card! I love the multicolored egg, it is stunning! Thanks so much for playing the Lawnscaping Challenge!
-Samantha

Kelly S. said...

This is SO cute! I love the masking for the background...the images just POP in front of that big egg :)!

Audrey said...

Oh wow! Your card is just gorgeous! I love the inking you did on your giant egg! So cool! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Lawnscaping Challenges! :)

Lisa Mensing said...

This is gorgeous! The background is pure perfection, very pretty! Thanks for sharing at CIO. Lisa DT

crafty-stamper said...

Brilliant card love the distress inked egg and cute little images--Thank you for joining us at Artistic inspirations
Carol DT x

Patricia said...

Super cute card I love it

Allison P said...

Super sweet design! Love the bright colors!

Michelle said...

So sweet! I LOVE the egg-shaped background. Such a clever idea! Thank you for sharing your work with us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.
~Michelle

Jo Nevill said...

A really pretty card. I love the scene you have created in the Easter egg.

Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.

Jo x

Jo Nevill said...

A really pretty card. I love the scene you have created in the Easter egg.

Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.

Jo x

Jingle said...

This is adorable! I love the creative inking! Thanks so much for joining us for the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

Unknown said...

Such a perfect easter card!!! adorable!!

Dwie lewe rączki said...

Beautiful card and lovely colors. Thank you for joining our challenge at Creative Card Crew
Big hug, Yvonne