Wednesday 9 July 2014

Steampunk-ish



Today's card was inspired by the current Snarky Stampers challenge which is "S is for Steampunk". Not sure if this is quite hard core steampunk, but it's steampunk-ish enough to qualify I would think. 

After my decision yesterday night to start an art journal, I wanted to get my Distress Paints out in anticipation of my mixed media journal that hopefully will arrive in the next few days. I'm so eager to get going, I can't wait to be making a complete mess and ending up with who knows what monstrosities. But it's a new way of being creative. And you know that feeling when you have a new idea and you just want to get going but have to wait and you are afraid the inspiration will go away and by the time you have all the stuff you need you have already moved onto something new... 

I haven't had much success with the Distress paint metallic colours, I just haven't been able to make them look like I wanted. As it so happened, my new watercolour paper pad arrived today, so I thought I would die cut the cogs from the heavy watercolour paper, spritz the paper until soaked and then use the paints onto the wet surface. And that really worked for me, I love the look. I used my heat gun to dry the cogs until almost dry, then sprinkled some matching embossing powder and heat set. Not too much of it, but just a little for that subtle texture and shine. I also wanted to try out my new washi tape that arrived today (the first washi tape I have ever bought). I used the colours in the washi tape as my inspiration for the cogs and the background. I created the card background by stamping the Gorgeous Grunge stamps using clear embossing powder and sprinkling with a mix of copper, silver and gold embossing powder and heat set before using a foam applicator and Distress inks in Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain to create a leathery look. You can't quite see it in the picture, but the embossing powder has a nice subtle shine giving the card a bit of texture and depth. I couldn't resist stamping a slightly snarky sentiment inside the card. 


Card: Craft UK kraft card, Hobbycraft 160 gsm white card, Daler & Rowney 300 gsm Aquafine watercolour paper
Inks: Tim Holtz Distress Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain, Pumice Stone and embossing ink
Stamps: Stampin' Up Gorgeous Grunge, Paper Smooches Sentiment Sampler, Hobbycraft typewriter alphabet clear stamps
Other: Tim Holtz alterations Gadget Gears die, Papermania Silver and Copper embossing powder, golden embossing powder from my stash that is so worn I can't tell what make it is, washi tape I ordered off ebay, Tim Holtz Distress paints in Antiqued Bronze, Brushed Pewter and Tarnished Brass, gold paper from my stash

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Couldn't resist a slightly snarky sentiment? You've obviously found your home away from home with the Sisters. ;) And your card is definitely steampunkish enough -- I love those gears/cogs and the sparkly background! I'd say you'll be rocking that journal once it arrives. So glad you joined the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Donna said...

Ha Ha Ha that is awesome!!! Love that C O G sentiment - and is that washi tape I see inside the card??? LOVE IT!!!
Thanks for joining the sisterhood of snarky stampers for the "S is for Steampunk" challenge!

Chris Dring said...

I'm so thrilled that you couldn't resist a snarky sentiment, because it's absolutely fabulous! Your card is amazing in itself and if it's any indication, your art journal is going to be incredible! Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for the Steampunk challenge!

Jessi Fogan said...

creepy old geezer, omg, now I know what's going in my husband's BD card next year!! WOOHOO for starting an art journal - playing & having fun? Trying out new stuff? Yay! Love those fun tapes (oh, you will be buying more...it gets addictive! And they're only wafer-thin, right? You've got room for more!) and how you did the gears. So happy you came to play with the sisters again :)